Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Is that poo on your lip, why yes it is...

Oye Vey! So I went to the butterfly exhibit at the Natural History Museum. Let me explain what exactly this is: Inside the museum, the museum folks set up a sort of butterfly habitat and let the stupid site seers into the habitat so they can be in and around the unfettered insects. I was not over excited about this little endeavor but I went along with it. Personally I didn't want the little bastards to touch me and I was pretty sure they would.

First off, due to the tropical nature of the little buggers the temperature inside the habitat must be kept at around 1000 degrees (probably more like 85-90, but it was freakin hot). Now, in order to make sure the butterflies are all safe and sound, they only allow a dozen (or so) people in at once.

Secondly, please be careful as these glorified moths do have the pesky habit of landing on the ground. Which means that you better watch your step or you'll break little Sally's heart when you squish her favorite insect into the grout.

Last, but not least, keep in mind that these captive butterflies eat more than butterflies found in the wild due to the excess amount of time they have on their hands (wings?) and also the fact that they don't need to "find" their own food, the museum has laid it out everywhere. Two thoughts on this: What happens if these little assholes get loose, will they starve to death because they don't know how to get their own food? (no chance of them getting loose though cuz there is an "after butterfly" room that you have to go through to make sure you don't have any butterfly hitchhikers). Second thought: is the butterfly obesity rate going to rise now that they have such an easy time finding food? Just a thought.

So, having made my prior point, it follows that as the pests eat more, they also crap more. DUH. So, who do you think got pooed on? That's right, yours truly. Luckily the poo is very small, but having said that, it was on my lip. I felt it when it first landed there but it didn't occur to me at the time what it was. Yep, that's right, I walked around with butterfly crap on my lip until my friend noticed and said "you have something black on your lip." Why of course I do, its poo.



Please enjoy some photos:




4 comments:

Sam said...

no photos of the aforementioned lip-poo?

nice photos, BTW. and one of my favorite posts to date. I think it was all the swearing.

MattyHoho said...

i think they started to eat the wings off of that one butterfly too! cannibals

~Babychaser~ said...

We've got you beat! Check out our poo story at http://babychaser.blogspot.com/2008/04/i-dont-know-where-to-start.html

Sam said...

where
did
you
go
?
hope finals didn't kill you.