Thursday, August 16, 2007

More Movie Reviews... I Have No Life!

Yes, that's correct, I have now been to 6 movies in about 2 weeks. I cannot say that I am especially proud of this fact, but alas, I will pass on my thoughts anyhow.

Transformers - 2 thumbs way up. I have 3 words to describe this movie: BEST MOVIE EVER! Alright, I admit it, I delayed on seeing this movie because I thought I wouldn't like it. I'm a girl, I like girl movies. I really didn't expect to like this movie so much, but it really was great. Thank you to my good friend BChab for telling me I definitely had to see this in the theater! Obviously this movie has great special effects, but it also has a plot! Go figure! It kinda had an "Independence Day" feel to it in the way a lot of different people are doing things in a lot of different places and then they all come together to fight the bad guys. It's gotta just make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I don't want to give away too many details but, lets just say it is nice to know that other people (even made up people) have intense emotional feelings toward their inanimate objects. GO SEE THIS MOVIE!

Ocean's 13 - 1 1/2 thumbs up. Ok, as you have probably guessed the pool of movies I would like to see has inevitably thinned. On account of this fact I have been forced to "think outside the box" for movies to see. Enter the cheap theater. You know this theater, it is usually a little run down and in a somewhat sketchy area. The movies are cheapER (hence the name cheap theater), and they are also the movies that have just left the "real" movie theaters. Now, I hope you noticed my emphasis on the word cheapER. The movie was still $4, which kinda seemed like a rip off considering that sometimes the color was off and the film had shifted so that it was projected on most of the screen and a little part of the wall, leaving a nice 1 foot margin of screen that wasn't covered by anything. The movie didn't start until almost 10:00, which honestly is past my bed time these days. So, I got to the theater (no easy feat as you can only enter the building from the back alley area of the shopping mall/center thing). It was sketchy as all hell, and I had mild delusions of getting knifed for my designer flip flops (Reefs) on the way into the building. Really, I couldn't even get into the theater building as they make you pay at the door. I was stuck holding the door, in an effort not to let the thing rest on my ass, as I stood there in the door way and listened to the customers in front of me haggle on the movie prices. NOT KIDDING! Apparently there is some sort of student discount (a whole dollar! (yes Audrey)) but the guy only had one student ID for him and his date. The proprietor of this fine movie theater wasn't budging on prices. Finally I got to the front of the line and set my four one dollar bills on the counter. Chester (as I imagine that is what his name must have been), looked at my money and said Whoaaa! I looked at him and said Ocean's 13 please. I am still at a loss as to why my four dollars elicited such a response from this man. I mean, there were probably 3 signs (hand written on yellowed construction paper) that read "CASH ONLY." Oh well, I guess that will have to be one of life's many mysteries.

So, I got into the theater and it was dark. I mean pitch freakin black. So, I stood at the back of the theater and tried to see where I was going to be forced to sit. I admit I was a tad late and the movie had already started. I REALLY HATE THAT! I quickly got to my seat and had a flashback to my youth. I believe now is a good time to give a shout out to the Plaza Cinemas movie theater back home. When I was a kid you could catch a double feature at the Plaza for a couple dollars. But that's not all you could catch there!!! Joking aside here folks, communicable diseases are not a laughing matter. When I was a kid, I actually got lice from this otherwise reputable crack house, I mean, movie theater. So, as I sat there trying to figure out what Brad Pitt and George Clooney were up to I gingerly laid my head back against the seat and prayed for the best.

Well, the movie was pretty good. I must say, I went in with pretty low expectations. For anyone that saw Ocean's 12, you can understand why I expected the worst. But this Ocean movie was much, much better that 12. It is not as good as 11, but it was entertaining. At times it did feel like they were trying a little too hard to have crazy twists and turns in the plot, but all in all, it was pretty good. I think the fact that the movie is set back in Vegas really helped bring back the Ocean's 11 feel. So, if you have a "cheap" theater showing this movie I say, why not? Otherwise, renting it is probably a good idea.

Stardust - 2 thumbs up. This one is a little difficult to review right now as I am still thinking about it. I just saw this movie today and I notice that pieces of it have been floating in and out of my brain all evening. I guess that is a good sign. Ok, let me just say, I really liked the movie. I think it was extremely well made, the special effects were nothing short of amazing, the storyline was original (or as original as anything in Hollywood is these days), the actors were great, and it was funny. Having said all that, I don't really see the movie doing well in the theaters. I just imagine it is a tough movie to sell. It doesn't really have a target audience. It is a sci-fi movie that is a love story. Those are not two genres that go together. Although, I guess you could say that it has something for both men and women. I really don't think the previews do it justice. Hands down, the best character was Robert DeNiro's. He didn't have a large part, but he was hilarious. I thought the creepy obese man next to me was going to pee himself during several of the DeNiro scenes (he was one of those movie goers that repeats the line he thinks is funny and THEN laughs at it, so damn annoying). So, please, go see this movie. It was really good and I would love to know what you think of it. Warning: I never said it wasn't predictable, but it is still so worth seeing.

Alrighty, so apparently I like to ramble, if you made it this far, thanks for reading. Not to get too serious, but, I have been very lonely today and I just want to say to all my friends out there how much I miss you all. I can't wait to see you again and I hope you all are happy and well.

Goodnight.

3 comments:

Sam said...

i'm first again. thanks for the heads up with the movie recs, that'll help me not waste my monies. we're all thinkin' 'bout you up here too. hope things are going ok.

i really enjoyed your description of the movie theater, and the anecdote about catching lice at the one at home. Gross and funny. perfect.

T-Money said...

Oh Samson, you are my star!

Sam said...

Where did you go Trinastar?