Friday, November 2, 2007

Me, Selfish?

I heart potato chips. Really, just chips in general. Doritos, chips and salsa, kettle chips, chips, chips, chips. (With the exception of the salt and vinegar and the lime chips, those are nastified.) Having said that, I must say that I rarely allow myself to engage in chip eating activities unless they are of the baked chip variety. I have found that I really do enjoy the baked Lays (in all sorts of flavors now (try the BBQ or the sour cream and Cheddar, yum!)) but honestly, if I was throwing caution to the wind I doubt I would elect baked chips.

The last couple of days have been very rough for me. I have been very sad, stressed, lonely, feeling under appreciated, unloved, and generally engaging in a huge pity party for myself. I am sure this will all pass, but in order to help it along, I decided to celebrate my foul mood with some bona fide, genuine potato chips. I was at school working on a 10 page-single-spaced research assignment that is due in two days (that was assigned two days ago, ahem a**hole!) when I took a jaunt into the food area/where the mean people work. I saw some Kettle chips. It was like a light went on from heaven above the chip display, aaaaa... I looked for the New York Cheddar chips, which are a personal favorite of mine, but there were none. Ho hum, another setback. BUT WAIT! There were some BBQ chips, sign me up for those! I procured the chips from the "cashier" (aka, witch with a B) at the counter and was on my way. I wasn't quite ready to eat my chips, so I put them in my bag and finished what I was working on.

I had to work tonight so I packed up my school stuff in the afternoon and started my arduous journey home. It was slow moving through down town DC, but it was a nice day so I had my window rolled down. I was chillin' in a line of traffic when I heard my chips calling. "MMM, yes chips, what's that? Of course I will eat you now!" Open chips and commence eating. Yum, real potato chips! Wow! All of a sudden the substantial gentleman in the row of traffic opposing me leans out his window and says, "can I have one?"

Picture this, there was construction on both sides of this small two lane street, so both lanes of cars were pushed toward the middle. The driver side of the truck is pulled even with my driver's side and we are both stopped (and not moving) at opposing traffic lights in either direction.

I must admit, I looked at him as if he had two heads. So he repeated himself, "can I have one?" Are you joking? These are real potato chips here sir, you apparently don't understand the gravity of this situation. So I merely looked at him, smiled, and shook my head while saying "no." This is when he became outraged. "Oh, I see," he yelled at me, "you're gonna be selfish!" Thankfully by this time my light had changed and the cars in front of me had started to move. It was, however, a while before I stopped looking in my rear view mirror to see if he had doubled back to try to get my potato chips.

6 comments:

~Babychaser~ said...

You have an easy enough time finding "wackos" (as DH calls them) in underpopulated areas... what were you thinking going to a huge city like DC? Sorry to say this, but you really must blame yourself. :)

Now... if you'd chosen a yummier flavor, I'd have to ask you for one too! :)

Anonymous said...

OK....so....chips...I am afraid you come by this affliction quite honestly. You nclearly nNEVER had a chance. My new favorite(s) is/are the Veggie Chips....Yum!!! I do applaude you for your consumptiom of the baked chips!

Anonymous said...

PS--I would have to agree with Homemaker05 in her assesment of your ability to find humanity's oddities.

MattyHoho said...

Yes you do seem to find the odd in dc, ahem, especially me! But people need to know that they are everywhere, and more so than in other places. For instance, remember the woman on the train! And the air guitar man, I rest my case! These are just a few of the odd stories that we have to tell from our nation's capital and we havent gotten to the politicians yet. I'm going to find these Cheddar Chips, I would hope you would have shared them with me at least.

Sam said...

you should have licked a chip and given it to him.

then you could say to yourself, "haHA - the last laugh is mine!" or some similarly sentimented statement.

i too heart chips.

Anonymous said...

That is nuts...you really do have a lot of random people stories to share!