Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The Wind Beneath My Coffee Cup

Yeah, so, today has not been the best day. I was elated with my decision to sleep in, so I stayed up a bit late last night taking care of necessities (ie. ensuring I had clean underwear for today). Little did I know, however, that my WonderPup had other plans for me. At about 8:30 (aka, the butt-crack of dawn), WP started whining next to the door which he kindly interspersed with the occasional scratching on the door. After about 20 minutes of that I decided that it was time to take the poor bastard out.

Yes, its going to be a good day. So, I ended up getting to school later than I wanted to (which is a mystery as I got such an early start to the day) but I was still compelled to go to the gym. But of course the parking garage was full. Let's chat for a minute about the parking at GT. It sucks. There are approximately 70-80 spots in the parking garage for students, and that costs $6.75 a day. However, if you arrive at school prior to 7:00am (which I am remiss to say I normally do) you can get in for free (assuming they don't ticket you for overnight parking, trust me, it happens). If you do not arrive prior to 8:30am the lot is full and will stay that way until around 4:00. Now, it is free to park after 5:00, but if you get there at 4:45, have no fear, they will still charge you the $6.75. Assuming you do not arrive prior to 8:30, you have to scavenger for metered parking. There is one street that has 4 hour meters, all the others are only two hour meters. And you can just forget about "feeding" your meter, if you are there for more than 2 hours, you will get a ticket, regardless as to how much time is left on your meter. AND, crazily enough, if your meter expires and you get a ticket for that and then you don't move your car (I mean, why should I move it or even feed the meter I already got a ticket), they will indeed give you ANOTHER ticket for exceeding the maximum allowable time in the spot.

Ok, back to my story, I got to school around noon (if you read the above paragraph, I think we can all agree that the lot was full). So, I proceeded to look for a metered spot, I check the 4 hour ones first for obvious reasons, I'm lazy. Of course none were available, but by some miracle, I did find a spot in a 2 hour meter after only 10-15 minutes of searching. Oh yeah, I have no change. CRAP. No worries, there is a Starbucks nearby. I decided to get some coffee, even though I didn't want to cuz I was gonna work out. I got my drink and asked for a couple of dollars in quarters. I returned to my vehicle, placed my coffee on the hood of my car and went to deal with the meter. I believe I neglected to mention the wind. Yup, wind advisory this morning. So, my coffee promptly blew to the ground and spilled everywhere.

I am happy and proud to announce that I did not cry. I merely picked up the cup and threw it away (I mean all I needed was a ticket for littering or something). I went to the gym, which was uneventful and then went to move my car, of course. This time I had to drive around for 45 minutes until a metered spot became available. At this point I almost did cry cuz I was starvin' man!

So, that was my frustrating morning. And to top it all off, I got the last of my grades in and I am so disappointed I don't even know what to say about it.

Hope you all are doing well, sorry about the rambling!

2 comments:

MattyHoho said...

well to get myself through this horrendous week, i have taken up to watching BBC America. Now if anyone can get you through a tough time, its the Brits. O jolly Good

Anonymous said...

It happens to the best of us. I remember parking at CSUN..... oh the horror. Not quite as bad but bad! Once I was sooooo intent on looking for a spot that I actually HIT a student! It was straight out of a bad 80's movie. He jumped off the hood (luckily I wasn't going fast at all) and gave me a dirty look. All I could console him with was that bleak wave and a sheepish "I'm sorry". Thank gawd he just simply walked away! Hope that makes you laugh...... :-)